freebitcoin

Monday, August 29, 2016

[Solved] No Sound and "Dummy Output" sound in Ubuntu 14.04

This posting is for you who have same problem with me that after using command: "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" ubuntu 14.04 can't make sound output anymore, and sound output indicator become "Dummy output" like that show in the picture bellow. I'm using Dell Inspiron 11 3162 with ubuntu 14.04 lts as operating system.



I'm just new user in ubuntu and when that problem show up, it make me panic and the first I can do to get some help is using google to search how to solve that problem, but after following some trick none of them are solve my problem.

What I will show to you are trick what I'm using to solve that problem, maybe my trick not working to all of you but I hope it will become one of alternative to solve "Dummy Output" error in Ubuntu 14.04. So here we go... :)

Go to System Settings >> Software & Update 



select "Additional Drivers" go to sound driver section (see the picture):


Just try to change the selection driver there. My previously setting is "Using HDA driver in DKMS format. from oem-audio-hda-daily-lts-vivid-dkms (open source)". Before using "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" commands, using that device driver my ubuntu can make sound (it's default driver from dell), but after using that two commands "Dummy Output" error show up.

So I just to change the selection driver to "Do not use the device" like the picture above, if there are more than one sound device driver just try using that option one by one (trial and error). Oh... and to make the change to have effect You must restart your PC/laptop.


I hope my trick work for you. You can watch my youtube video here

Warning! Avoid using the command :

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio

   and 

sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

That command I get when I'm googling to search methode to solve "Dummy Output" error. Because when I'm using that two command my "System Settings" become error, some setting has gone. I don't know what wrong with that two commands... (T_T)

No comments:

Post a Comment